The UCI Libraries at a Glance
A “Day in the Life” of the UCI Libraries
- UCI Libraries’ facilities include 350,000 square feet in four locations:
- Jack Langson Library
- Ayala Science Library
- Grunigen Medical Library
- Libraries Gateway Study Center
- These buildings contain over 3,300 public seats for study and research
- The Libraries employ 172 full-time equivalent staff
- 47 librarians and professionals
- 98 staff
- 27 full-time equivalent positions filled by over 170 student employees
- Annual Expenditures – $22 million
- The UCI Libraries’ electronic and print collection includes approximately:
- 3.4 million volumes
- 150,000 journals and serials
- 120,000 government documents
- 138,000 audio/visual materials, multimedia, maps, photographs, and other graphic materials
- The Libraries Special Collections preserves 581 archival collections that include over 1 million original documents and photographs
- On an annual basis:
- UCI Libraries’ buildings receive over 1.7 million visits.
- The Libraries’ website receives nearly 8.1 million virtual visits.
- Nearly 170,000 items are checked out, renewed, or used within the library.
- Librarians answer over 30,000 research and reference questions.
- Librarians provide research instruction to approximately 17,000 individuals.
- UCI Libraries’ facilities are open 19 hours during a typical day and 111 hours during a typical week. Study centers are open 24 hours per day in the weeks before and during finals.
- The Libraries provide more than 570 public access computers.