The UCI Libraries at a Glance
A “Day in the Life” of the UCI Libraries (2011-2012)
- UCI Libraries’ facilities include 375,000 square feet in four locations:
- Jack Langson Library
- Ayala Science Library
- Grunigen Medical Library
- Libraries Gateway Study Center
- These buildings contain over 3,700 public seats for study and research
- The Libraries employ 168 full-time equivalent staff
- 48 librarians and professionals
- 94 staff
- 26 full-time equivalent positions filled by student employees
- Annual Expenditures – $19.7 million
- The UCI Libraries’ electronic and print collection includes approximately:
- 3.23 million books
- 132,000 journals and serials
- 143,000 government documents
- 135,000 audio/visual materials, multimedia, maps, photographs, and other graphic materials
- The Libraries Special Collections preserves 581 archival collections that include over 1 million original documents and photographs
- In 2010-2011,
- UCI Libraries’ buildings received 1.9 million visits.
- The Libraries’ website received 6.1 million virtual visits.
- Over 400,000 books were checked out, renewed, or used within the library.
- Librarians answered over 36,000 research and reference questions.
- Librarians provided research instruction to approximately 14,200 individuals.
- UCI Libraries’ facilities were open 15 hours during a typical day and 111 hours during a typical week. Study centers were open 24 hours per day in the weeks before and during finals.
- The Libraries provide more than 600 public access computers.