Reference and Instruction Librarian (Temporary)
The University of California, Irvine Libraries seeks an enthusiastic and knowledgeable librarian to serve as a Reference and Instruction Librarian. This will be a full-time, temporary appointment for one year from the date of hire.
Reporting to the Head of the Education and Outreach Department, the core responsibilities of the position are:
- Teach library workshops for the lower division writing courses, including Writing 39C, Humanities Core, and University Studies.
- Assist in maintaining and updating libguides related to lower division writing courses.
- Provide research consultations to students in lower division writing courses, as well as consultations in other subject areas, as appropriate.
- Assist with liaison to one or more of the lower division writing courses.
- Provide service at the reference desk and participate in virtual reference services.
- Assist with Education & Outreach and Reference assessment projects.
- Work on special projects as needed.
- Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited institution or an equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and library experience.
- Experience teaching in a library or college setting.
- Ability to provide excellent reference service in all formats for students and faculty in an academic library.
- Facility in designing and organizing web-based research guides.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-based library organization within a culturally diverse academic community.
- Commitment to user-centered library services.
- Experience providing instruction in an academic library.
- Experience providing in-person and online reference service in an academic library.
- Experience creating web-based research guides.
Salary: This is a temporary 100% appointment for one year from the date of hire. Appointment will be at the Assistant I – Associate III level ($47,544 - $54,444)
Deadline for Applications: Applications received by March 25, 2013 will receive first consideration, but applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
To Apply: Electronic applications are preferred. Qualified applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send their application materials including: cover letter; complete résumé; and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three references, with a statement of each reference's professional relationship to the applicant, to:
Library Human Resources
UC Irvine, P.O. Box 19557
Irvine, CA 92623-9557
Confidential fax (949) 824-3270
Upon application, candidates should be in possession of proof of their legal right to employment in the U.S. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, verification of legal right to work will be required between the time of final selection and hiring, and is absolutely essential in ultimately being hired.
This position description is listed on the UCI Libraries Web site at
The University of California, Irvine is an equal opportunity employer
committed to excellence through diversity.