Gift Materials Acceptance Policy
Last Modified July 1, 2010
The UC Irvine Libraries collections have been enhanced with gifts of books and other materials from members of the University community and local residents. The UC Irvine Libraries’ Gift Materials Acceptance Policy is aimed to enrich the current research and special collection materials in the UC Irvine Libraries and provides guidelines for potential donors.
Donations of materials are considered appropriate or acceptance if they meet the instructional and research needs of the University. Such donations include materials which enhance existing collections e.g. recently published scholarly monographs, and journals which fill in collection gaps. Potential donors should contact Meera Balachandra, Gift Assistant in the Acquisitions Department, at (949) 824-4987 to ensure that the donation meets the instructional and research needs of the UC Irvine Libraries. In certain cases subjects specialists may physically review donations prior to acceptance.
- When the Library accepts materials from donors, it is with the understanding that the donation is for review and the donation might not be added to the collections. In most instances the Library is unable to return donations not added to the collection.
- Acceptance for review of unsolicited and general gift materials is limited. The Library is unable to accept donations of duplicate materials, outdated textbooks, trade hardback and paperbacks or materials in poor physical condition.
- Due to space restrictions the Library may ask to pre-select items from donations before they are accepted.
- Donors offering materials in areas of special interest or rare books will be referred to an appropriate subject specialist for further consultation to ensure the material is appropriate for acceptance.
- A form acknowledging the donor and count of donations is provided to the donor.
- The library is unable to assign a value to donations for tax purposes or to supply a list of titles donated. Donors are encouraged to consult with their tax and/or legal advisors, and tax return preparer, to determine the value of their tax deduction (if desired). An official UC Irvine gift receipt, including relevant tax deduction information, is sent to the donor by UCI’s Office of Gift and Trust Administration only if the book(s) is/are of significant value and special arrangements are made in advance.
- Appraisal costs are the responsibility of the donor.
- Gift materials are not book plated unless special arrangements have been approved by the Assistant University Librarian for Collections prior to the donation being accepted for review.
Example of the Gift Materials Donor Form: