Library Filming/Photo Procedures
Last Modified June 16, 2010
- There are two primary types of requests that the library receives for filming and or videotaping opportunities. These are external and internal.
- A. The external requests will generally come through library facilities from the office of the Campus Event Coordinator and will be routed directly to the library facility building manager - ZOT code 8100, phone (x47217) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org , or phone (x43981) or email email@example.com for further consideration.
- The second method is an internal request from students, faculty, and sometimes, staff. These requests should be routed from the library department or desk personnel that may receive a request directly to the facility manager. Since some entities on campus may be prone to contact library staff directly due to past practices; we ask that you kindly redirect those requestors to our attention for review.
- All filming requests should be submitted to the library facilities office a minimum of 72 hours prior to the proposed event so that the facility building manager can assess the needs and confer with appropriate staff.
- The Libraries’ operations and patron services will always take priority over filming requests and therefore may ultimately drive the approval process.
- The requestor should have already outlined the purpose, content, intent of the shoot, potential support staff needed (if any), the proposed location involved, estimated length of time of the shoot and whether or not the group has an academic function on campus or not.
- For all external requests, the event coordinator will have prescreened the applicants (for such items as insurance, permissions, and content) prior to contacting Library Facilities.
- Once the building facility manager receives the request (from event coordinator or library department personnel) it will be evaluated based on the following:
- content – what subject matter is being filmed (including foreground and background)
- time of day and the day of the week
- specific location (building, floor, room, etc.)
- whether or not it should take place during operational hours
- necessary support - such as labor from the facilities department
- special needs (electrical, sound, lighting, props, etc.)
- privacy – respecting the students and staff in the area of the proposed shoot
- The Facilities Department will evaluate the request and either approve or disapprove the request in collaboration with the appropriate department head(s).
- Requests should be a single filming or photo event: not to include any “additional” clips that deviate from the original request.
- Once approved or not, facilities will notify appropriate library staff of a film shoot.