UC Irvine Libraries - UROP Partnership
The mission of the UC Irvine Libraries’ UROP ( - Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program) Partnership is to create and promote a dynamic, student-centered research environment that encourages inquiry, critical thinking, and creativity for UCI undergraduates.
All students whose UROP proposals are accepted receive the following special benefits from the Libraries:
- Extended borrowing privileges of 90 days
- Access to Nordstrom Honors Study Room (LL 472)
- Unlimited Interlibrary Loan
More information about UROP is available at www.urop.uci.edu/about.html
The Libraries-UROP Research Fellowship (LURF) Award was established in 2005 to recognize student writing on faculty-mentored undergraduate research or creative projects that:
• make significant use of scholarly information resources, the library, and its collections;
• demonstrate comprehensive or creative applications of research methodology;
• and/or focus on research about the scholarly information-production process itself.
As part of the online UROP proposal submission process, undergraduate students who wish to be considered for a LURF award will be asked to elaborate within their proposal on how they intend to use library print or electronic resources. Based on recommendations by a panel of librarians, this Fellowship will provide up to $500 in additional funds for project-related supplies and expenses. In addition, Fellows will have the opportunity to work closely with a research librarian who is a subject expert in the student’s field of inquiry.
Application Procedure (for Students)
- Follow the online proposal submission process and guidelines on the UROP Web site: www.urop.uci.edu/grants.html
- Check the option “I wish to be considered for the LURF Award” with a link to description and benefits of the award.
- In order to be considered for the Fellowship, proposals must include:
- a statement that describes your research strategy,
- a detailed explanation of the use you will make of library and/or information resources,
- a summary of the contributions that library and/or information resources will make to the outcome of your project.
- The UROP Faculty Advisory Board reviews, evaluates, and makes funding recommendations on submitted proposals.
- If recommended by the Faculty Board for funding, the proposal will be reviewed and considered for the LURF Award by a panel of librarians and the UROP Director.
LURF awards are co-sponsored by the UC Irvine Libraries’ Nellie Ansley Reeves Library Endowed Fund and the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP).
Fellows are encouraged to present their research at the UCI Undergraduate Research Symposium held in May of each academic year, to write a paper that presents their research findings, and to submit their manuscripts for possible publication in The UCI Undergraduate Research Journal.
Contact Cathy Palmer (email@example.com , 4-4972) for more information about the Libraries-UROP Research Fellowship Award program.