The UC Irvine Libraries support
the Chancellor's Distinguished Fellows Series by providing a bibliography
of the works of each Fellow. The bibliographies are available in print
at the Langson and Science Libraries and at each public event.
2002 - 2003
UC Irvine Chancellor's Distinguished Fellow
A Selective Bibliography: The UC Irvine Libraries
April 28, 2003
Rina Vecchiola, Research Librarian
The UC Irvine Libraries
Selected Multimedia Installations and Projects
- A Fictional Tourist in Europe, 2001
- The Mechanoidís Bloodline, 2001
- The Exploded City, 1998
- Four Frontiers, 1998
- Message Carrier, 1998
- Robot Bodies, 1998
- Relocating the Remains, 1997
- The Fictions of Science, 1996
- Four Corners, A Contest of Opposites, 1995
- Reckless Eyeballing, 1995
- Terrible Spaces, 1994
- Exotic Signs, 1993
- Transgressive Acts, 1993
- Another Step into the Arena, 1992
- Tagging the Other, 1992
- Trade Winds, 1992
- A Ship Called Jesus, 1991
- Step into the Arena, 1991
- The Devil Finds Work, 1990
- Chanting Heads, 1988
Selected Exhibition Catalogues
- Continental Drift: Europe Approaching
the Millennium, 10 Photographic Commissions. Munich; New York:
Interview with the artist and artistís statement.
- The Unmapped Body: 3 Black British Artists.
New Haven: Yale University Press, 1998.
Exhibition of work by Keith Piper, Sutapa Biswas, and Sonia Boyce.
- Keith Piper: Relocating the Remains.
London: Institute of the International Visual Arts, 1997.
Solo exhibition, with extensive biography, bibliography, and videography.
Catalogue accompanied by CD-ROM.
- New Histories. Boston: The Institute
of Contemporary Art, 1996.
Article by Kobena Mercer, biography, and bibliography.
- Cocido y Crudo. Madrid: Museo Nacional
Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, 1995.
Artistís text and images.
- Masculine Masquerade: Masculinity and
Representation. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT List Visual Arts Center,
Artistís biography and images.
- Phaophanit & Piper. Bristol,
U.K.: Eddie Chambers, 1995.
Essay "Transcoding the Journey: Keith Piper" by Janice M. Cheddie.
- Arte, Sociedad, Reflexiůn: Quinta Bienal
de La Habana. n.p., 1994.
- The Exploded City. London: Centre
181 Gallery, 1994.
- Trophies of Empire. Liverpool, U.K.:
Bluecoat Gallery and Liverpool John Moores University School of Design
and Visual Arts, 1994.
- In the Ring. Staten Island, N.Y.:
Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, 1993.
- Iterations: The New Image. New York:
International Center of Photography, 1993.
Artistís text and images.
- Sonsbeek 93. Ghent: Snoeck-Ducaju & Zoon,
Artistís proposal and statement.
- Step into the Arena: Notes on Black
Masculinity and the Contest of Territory. Rochdale, U.K.: Rochdale
Art Gallery, 1992.
- A Ship Called Jesus. Birmingham,
U.K.: Ikon Gallery, 1991.
- The Other Story: Afro-Asian Artists
in Post-War Britain. London: South Bank Centre, 1989.
Curated by Rasheed Araeen.
- Art History: Artists Look at Contemporary
Britian. London: South Bank Centre, 1987.
Selected Articles, Interviews, and Reviews
- Piper, Keith. "Notes on the Mechanoidís
Bloodline: Looking at Robots, Androids and Cyborgs." Art Journal 60,
no. 3 (Fall 2001): 96-8.
- Cubitt, Sean. "Keith Piper: After Resistance,
Beyond Destiny." Third Text, no. 47 (Summer 1999): 77-86.
- Rich, Sarah K. "Thinking Locally." Afterimage
26, no. 5 (1999): 18.
- Review of The Unmapped Body: 3 Black British
- Piper, Keith. "Keith Piper: the Exploded
City." Revue Noire, no. 31 (December 1998-January/February 1999): 14-5.
Keith Piper discusses his video work.
- Masterson, Piers. "Keith Piperís Digital
Odessey." Art Papers 21, no. 6 (November-December 1997):18-20.
- "The Artist in the 21st Century." Artists
Newsletter, (September 1997): 14-6.
Keith Piper and other artists and writers address art in the 21st century.
- Mercer, Kobena. "Maroonage of the Wondering
Eye: Keith Piper." Portfolio,no. 23 (June 1996): 54-5.
- Smith, Caroline. "The Sample Art of Keith
Piper." Creative Camera, no. 335 (August-September 1995): 30-3.
- Hylton, Richard. "Phaophanit and Piper." Third
Text, no. 31 (Summer 1995): 95-7.
- Piper, Keith. "Separate Spaces: A Personal
Perspective on Black Art and the New Technologies." Variant, no. 14
(Summer 1993): 9-11.
- Piper, Keith. "Step into the Arena: Black
Art and Questions of Gender." Art & Design, 8, no. 7-8 (July-August
- Cubitt, Sean. "Going Native: Columbus,
Liverpool, Identity and Memory." Third Text, no. 21 (Winter 1992-1993):
Discusses Trophies of Empire projects.
- "Island Stories: Ameena Meer Talks to Keith
Piper." Frieze, no. 6 (September-October 1992): 42-5.
- Mercer, Kobena. "Engendered Species." Artforum
30, no. 10 (Summer 1992): 74-7.
Discussion of the work of Keith Piper and Danny Tisdale.
- Piper, Keith. "Un Bateau Nomme Jesus." Revue
Noire, no. 2 (September 1991): 22-4.
- Gilroy, Paul. "Chanting Heads." AND Journal
of Art and Art Education, no. 21 (1990): 37-43.
- "Keith Piper: Body and Text." Third Text,
no. 2 (Winter 1987/88): 53-61.
A series of photo-collage works.
- Unpacking Europe: Towards a Critical
Reading. Rotterdam: Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen and Nai Publishers,
Essay and artwork by Keith Piper.
- Powell, Richard J. Black Art and Culture
in the 20th Century. London: Thames and Hudson, 1997.
- Boxer: An Anthology of Writings on Boxing
and Visual Culture. London: Institute of International Visual
Essay and artwork by Keith Piper.
- Keen, Melanie. Recordings: A Select
Bibliography of Contemporary African, Afro-Caribbean and Asian British
Art. London: Institute of
International Visual Arts and Chelsea College of Art and Design, 1996.
- Lucie-Smith, Edward. Race, Sex, and
Gender in Contemporary Art. New York: H.N. Abrams, 1994.
- Wombell, Paul. Photovideo: Photography
in the Age of the Computer. London: Rivers Oram Press, 1991.
Essay "Fortress Europe: Tagging the Other" and artwork by Keith Piper.
- Kwesi, Owusu, ed. Storms of the Heart:
An Anthology of Black Arts & Culture. London: Camden Press,
Text and artwork by Keith Piper and Donald Rodney.
Selected Web Links