"Articulating the Archaic: Notes on Colonial Nonsense." In Peter Collier and Helga Geyer-Ryan, eds., Literary Theory Today, pp. 203-218. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1990.
"Beyond Fundamentalism and Liberalism:
Thoughts on the Rushdie Affair."
In Lisa Appignanesi and Sara Maitland, eds., The Rushdie File, pp. 112-114. Contemporary Issues in the Middle East. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press, 1990.
"Interrogating Identity: The Postcolonial Prerogative" In David Theo Goldberg, ed., The Anatomy of Racism, pp. 183-209. Minneapolis & London: University of Minnesota Press, 1990.
Edited. Nation and Narration. London
& New York: Routledge, 1990.
1. Homi K. Bhabha. Introduction: Narrating the Nation:1-7
2. Ernest Renan What is a Nation? 8-22
3. Martin Thom. Tribes within Nations: The Ancient Germans and the History of Modern France:23-43
4. Timothy Brennan. The National Longing for Form:44- 70
5. Doris Sommer. Irresistible Romance: The Foundational Fictions of Latin America:71-98
6. Sneja Gunew. Denaturalizing Cultural Nationalisms: Multicultural Readings of 'Australia': 99-120
7. Geoffrey Bennington. Postal Politics and the Institution of the Nation: 121-137
8. Simon During. Literature -- Nationalism's Other? The Case for Revision:138- 153
9. John Barrell. Sir Joshua Reynolds and the Englishness of English Art: 154-176
10. David Simpson. Destiny Made Manifest: The Styles of Whitman's Poetry:177-196
11. Rachel Bowlby. Breakfast in America: Uncle Tom's Cultural Histories: 197-212
12. Bruce Robbins. Telescopic Philanthropy: Professionalism and Responsibility in Bleak House: 213- 230
13. James Snead. European Pedigrees/African Contagions: Nationality, Narrative, and Communality in Tutuola, Achebe, and Reed:231-249
14. Francis Mulhern. English Reading: 250-264
15. Gillian Beer. The Island and the Aeroplane: The Case of Virginia Woolf:265- 290
16. Homi K. Bhabha. DissemiNation: Time, Narrative, and the Margins of the Modern Nation: 291-322
"Novel Metropolis." New Statesman & Society (February 16, 1990), 3(88) [119(3071)]:16-18.
"The Other Question: Difference, Discrimination and the Discourse of Colonialism." In Russell Ferguson, Martha Gever, Trinh T. Minh-ha, and Cornel West, eds., Out There: Marginalization and Contemporary Cultures, pp. 71-87. Foreword by Marcia Tucker. Images selected by Felix Gonzalez-Torres. Documentary Sources in Contemporary Art, 4. New York: The Museum of Contemporary Art; Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press, 1990.
"Simultaneous Translation: Modernity and the International." Expanding Internationalism: A Conference on International Exhibitions. New York: Arts International, 1990.
"The Third Space: Interview with Homi K. Bhabha." In Jonathan Rutherford, ed., Identity: Community, Culture, Difference, pp. 207-221. London: Lawrence & Wishart, 1990.