The Fateful Question of Culture.
New York: Culumbia
University Press, 1997.
Also issued as a paperback.
of the 1998 René Wellek Prize awarded by the American Comparative
- Chapter One. Introduction:1-20.
- Chapter Two. Culture and the Abstract Life:21-59.
- Chapter Three.The Question of Our Speech:61-97.
- Chapter Four. Language and Culture After the Holocaust:99-140.
- Chapter Five. The Sympathy Paradox: Poetry, Feeling, and
Modern Cultural Morality:141-164.
- Chapter Six. A Culture of Inclusion:165-203,
- Appendix 1. "Culture" and "Civilization":205-224.
- Appendix 2. On Methodology:225-230.