Langson First Floor Renovation: Improvements to Help You Succeed.
From Fall 2012 through Summer 2013 the UCI Libraries will be renovating the public area of the Langson 1st floor. The goals are to reconfigure the reader seats to enhance the user experience and expand the electrical infrastructure to better meet our patrons' power requirements as the use of laptops, netbooks, and tablets increases.
Additionally, to ensure that our patrons can find the books in the collection, we will be expanding the shelving on the 1st floor, and moving some of the book collections from other floors to the 1st floor. This will alleviate the overcrowding of books in the Stacks on the 3rd and 4th floors of the Langson Library.
The first phase of the renovation begins during the Winter Recess and will extend into the Winter Quarter: The work will involve demolishing walls and the old reference desk in order to create space for shelving. We will also re-paint and re-carpet the 1st floor's center area, and then add additional shelving in this area. Pardon our noise and dust during this phase of the renovation; most of the study spaces, computing, and collections located on 1st floor will remain accessible
The second phase will involve refurbishing and expanding the 1st floor stacks on the Ring Road side of Langson, and moving the Reference shelving and collection from the Aldrich Park side of Langson to the center area. Dates: Late Winter Quarter through early Spring Quarter. Pardon our noise and dust during this phase of the renovation; most of the study spaces, computing, and collections located on the 1st floor will remain accessible.
The third phase will involve refurbishing the 1st floor computing and study area on the Aldrich Park side of Langson. Dates: To be decided.
In late Spring 2013, in order to make better use of the space in the Langson Basement, we will be relocating some collections from the Basement to other areas:
- Federal government information will move to the Ayala Science Library, 5th floor drum, beginning on Monday, May 20, 2013.
- Orange County and California government information and United Nations documents will be moved to Langson Library's 1st floor
- The East Asian books and bound journals will be merged on Langson's 1st floor
Beginning in Summer 2013 the Libraries will complete this phase of improving the Langson Libraries spaces by integrating the books and journals in the Langson Library into one call number sequence.
- P-Z will be located in Langson’s Basement, and the remaining A-N call numbers will be distributed across the 3rd and 4th floors of the building.
- While we are integrating our books and journals into one call number sequence, our current circulation policies will remain in effect.
The Libraries are committed to improving the 1st floor with the least amount of disruption to our users. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns.