Find newspaper articles from a particular time period
Newspaper articles offer the opportunity to read first hand accounts of events as they happen. The UC Irvine Libraries subscribes to several indexes that provide electronic access to both current and historical newspapers.
Digital archives of selected newspapers.
- African American Newspapers: 19th Century
- The Civil War: A Newspaper Perspective
- Harpweek, 1857-1865
- The Historical Los Angeles Times 1881-1966
- Historical Newspapers Online
Indexes to major newspapers including London Times and New York Times
- Historical Index to the New York Times 1851-1922
Covers 1851-1905 and 1913-1922.
- New York Times 1857-1999 (via UMI)
Select the appropriate database from the pull-down menu (Click on Select multiple databases).
- Palmer's Index 1790-1905 and Palmer's Full Text 1800-1870
Click on the Palmer's Index below Search. Access to the Times of London which originated as The Daily Universal Register.
- The Official Index to the [London] Times, 1906-1980
- Wall Street Journal 1889-1985 (via UMI)
- Pennsylvania Gazette 1728-1800
"New York Times" of the period.