Ask a Librarian - Guidelines
Who may ask a question?
The "Ask a Librarian" EMAIL service is intended for UCI students, faculty, and staff. If you are not affiliated with UCI, we will only respond to questions about UC Irvine and the collections and resources of the UCI Libraries. In some cases, those users not affiliated with UC Irvine may be referred elsewhere and may want to begin their in-depth research by exploring the alternative resources below.
Suggested Alternative Resources
- Consult your local school or public library
- ipl2: INFORMATION YOU CAN TRUST
- Visit the UC Irvine Libraries in person for additional assistance
- UCI students, faculty, and staff may make an appointment through our Research Consultation Service at the Ayala Science Library, or the Langson Library. For further assistance please visit one of our reference desks.
What kinds of questions may I ask?
- Questions about which resources to use
- How to begin your research and suggested search strategies
- Requests for brief factual or statistical information
- Questions about the UCI Libraries resources, services, and facilities
When will I receive a response?
E-mailed questions: within 24 hours Monday through Friday (excluding holidays).