Last Modified March 15, 2013
|Check Out Locations||Express Check Out Locations|
Langson Library: 2nd Floor Lobby
2nd Floor Lobby
|Ayala Science Library
Ayala Science Library
1st Floor Lobby
4th Floor near elevators
|Grunigen Medical Library
|Law Library: 2nd Floor Lobby
Contact the Law Library directly for more information about loan periods.
You are responsible for knowing the due date of materials you check out. You can find this by viewing your library account.
LEGEND: LL = Langson Library, ASL = Ayala Science Library, GML = Grunigen Medical Library
|General Circulating Collection LL, ASL & GML||UC Faculty & Staff||LL & ASL 365 days
GML 90 days; max # of items: 999
|General Circulating Collection LL, ASL & GML||UC Graduate Students||LL & ASL 90 days
GML 14 days; max # of items: 999
|General Circulating Collection LL, ASL & GML||UC Undergraduates||
LL & ASL 28 days
|General Circulating Collection LL, ASL & GML||Non-UC Affiliates||LL & ASL 28 days
GML 14 days; max # of items: varies
|Lobby Books LL||All borrowers||28 days||No|
|Reserves LL & ASL||UCI Affiliates only||2hrs., 24 hrs., 72 hrs.||1 renewal for 24 & 72 hrs.|
|Multimedia Resources Center|
Any borrower (except those with overdue materials and/or fines/bills) with a valid library card may place a recall or hold on material that is checked out to another borrower, except:
- Reserve materials
- Billed books
- In-Process material
- On order material
- Materials under consideration for purchase
Requests for recalls or holds on checked out items can be placed via My ANTPAC or at any check out desk. If an item is recalled, the new due date will be about ten days from the date the recall was placed and the borrower will be emailed a recall notice with the new due date, unless the original due date is sooner in which case no notice will be sent. If a hold is placed on an item that you have checked out, a notice is not sent since the original due date has not changed. Failure to receive recall and overdue notices does not exempt a borrower from fines or a lost book bill. Items with holds or recalls must be returned on or before the due date to avoid fines. Items with holds and recalls placed on them cannot be renewed.
Journals, reference materials, and other materials for which the circulation status is "library use only" generally do not circulate. This includes all materials in Special Collections and Archives, which never circulate. For non-circulating material located in the general stacks or the reference collection, the reference librarian on duty may make an exception and determine the length of the loan period after consulting the appropriate subject bibliographer, if one of the following circumstances applies:
- If the material is needed for a classroom presentation.
- If the user wants to make a slide or a photograph and needs to take the material elsewhere to do so.
- If there is more than one copy or edition.
- If there is a new edition in the Reference Collection.
- If there are special circumstances approved by a subject bibliographer or the Department head.
Exceptions will be made only for UC Irvine faculty, graduate students, undergraduate students (with faculty approval), or staff with valid UC Irvine Library cards.
You are responsible for knowing the due date of materials you check out. You can find this by viewing your library account. Failure to receive an overdue or recall notice does not exempt the borrower from fines and/or bills. Any borrower intending to leave the area for an extended period of time should return all library materials before they become overdue or are recalled. An item is considered overdue if it is not returned to any UC Irvine Library on the due date. The due date will be indicated by:
- The due date printed on the self-checkout receipt.
- The due date and time stamped on Reserve items.
- The new due date on a recall notice.
- The due date written on special loans.
- Loan periods are determined by the instructors who place the materials on Reserve.
- Return items to the Check Out/Reserve Desk where they were checked out. Overdue fines will apply if the materials are left elsewhere.
- If a 24-hour or 72-hour item is due at a time when the Check Out/Reserve Desk is closed, ANTPAC will set the due date to the next time the Check Out/Reserve Desk opens.
- If checked out within two hours of closing, 2-hour items may be checked out overnight and are due when the Check Out/Reserve Desk opens the next day.
- 2-hour items cannot be renewed. 24-hour and 72-hour items can be renewed only one time per checkout and must be returned to the appropriate Check Out/Reserve Desk by the new due date and time.