Suggestions for Successful Visits
The UC Irvine Libraries welcome the general public and students and faculty from other institutions.
These resources and services are available for on-site use at no cost:
- computers with Internet access, including licensed online resources (a few exceptions apply)
- music scores
- government reports
- special collections and archival materials
There are fees for the following:
To make the most of your visit, keep in mind the following:
The UC Irvine Libraries are located in four buildings:
- Langson Library (Arts, Humanities, Education, Social Sciences, Social Ecology, Business/Management)
- Ayala Science Library (Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Information and Computer Sciences, Health Sciences)
- Gateway Study Center (computers and study space; restricted to UCI students, faculty and staff)
- Grunigen Medical Library (Clinical Health Sciences, located at the UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, CA)
All have computers with online access to our licensed databases and other online resources as well as the Internet in general.
Before You Visit: Do We Have What You Need?
The UC Irvine Libraries have the largest collections in Orange County, developed for the research and instructional needs of the UC Irvine faculty, students and staff. Public libraries in California have built collections and services for their constituencies. They offer free borrowing cards and free parking.
The librarians at your local public library can help you find information and resources in their collections. After checking with your local public library, it's a good idea to check our catalog and subject guides before making the trip to UCI. We also strongly recommend that you contact a librarian about your specific needs and interests.
Finding What You Need Once You Are Here
- We recommend you speak with a librarian when our Langson Library Ask Us Desk is staffed
- Please ask for assistance at the Check Out Desk when our Ask Us Desk is closed, or send us an email.
- Take the "Find Books" and "Find Articles" brief tutorials in Begin Your Research
- See our floor plans or take our Virtual Tour
Taking Materials Home
- Library cards are needed to check out books that circulate
- Non-circulating materials must be used on-site and may be photocopied or scanned
- Printing is available from all public floors from our public computers
- WiFi is available to visitors on a limited basis - note the Visitor Access Restrictions at this site
Visitors must use some materials, such as licensed online resources, online journals and ebooks only at UC Irvine. Off-campus access is available only to currently-enrolled students, faculty and staff. However many public libraries have online resources that their card-holders may use from outside the library. Please contact your local public library to learn about their licensed resources.
Library Policies: Food, Drink, Animals, etc.
In order to maintain the Libraries for everyone’s use, we ask that you please abide by the same policies as other library users.
Looking for information published by the government?
The UC Irvine Libraries participate in the United States and California State depository library programs. In addition we have a limited collection of Orange County documents as well as publications from selected International Organizations. These may be found by searching ANTPAC.