Last Modified June 12, 2021
What is ETAS?
The Emergency Temporary Access Service permits special access for HathiTrust member libraries located in the U.S. that suffer an unexpected or involuntary, temporary disruption to normal operations. Public health emergencies leading to closing libraries or otherwise restricting access to their print collections, are considered unexpected or involuntary, temporary disruptions.
ETAS makes it possible for member library patrons to obtain lawful access to specific digital materials in HathiTrust that correspond to physical books held by their own library. The Emergency Temporary Access Service will enable many HathiTrust member libraries, such as the University of California Libraries, to continue supporting the teaching, learning, and research mission of their institutions during said disruption in service.
Continued access to HathiTrust ETAS is critical with the majority of UCI students continuing to learn remotely. We cannot loan out print items from our collection that are available in HathiTrust ETAS without losing access to this vital resource. However beginning June 21, 2021 these items may be used in Langson Library. Scanners are available for your use free of. charge.
How do I access ETAS?
- Visit https://www.hathitrust.org and click the yellow “LOG IN” button.
- Select “University of California, Irvine” and log in using your UCInetID and password.
- Locate the item you wish to view.
- Click on the Temporary Access link at the bottom of the record to Check Out the item through the Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Click here for instructions with images on how to search and identify if a title is available through HathiTrust's ETAS.
Detailed instructions (including how to use the service on a phone or tablet) can be found at https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-How-To
Key Points About ETAS
- The Emergency Temporary Access Service is being offered to U.S.-based HathiTrust members as a fair use authorized by the U.S. Copyright Code.
- This is a temporary service offered only during the timeframe in which the COVID-19 emergency is preventing libraries from allowing patrons to browse print collections in person.
- Students, faculty, and staff at the affected HathiTrust member institutions will, upon logging in to HathiTrust, have access to titles that their library owns. For books that may have rights restrictions, users will be able to read the book online, in a web browser, in a secure and lawful manner.
- Books can be checked out for 1 hour. If you remain active during your session your time will be extended.
- This is a 1:1 model. Therefore if there are 3 copies in the UC collection, 3 UC-authenticated users can check out the book at the same time.
- HathiTrust ETAS FAQs
Tips for Users
Log in, Log in, Log in!
Temporary Access to books available from the UC collection are available only when you log-in to HathiTrust using your UCInetID and password. Use the yellow Log In button in upper-right of the HathiTrust main page.
Check out an item only when you plan to use it.
Each Temporary Access book has an initial check-out period of 60 minutes. If you remain active in the book during any session, access time will be extended. If you do not remain active, it will be released for use by other users on your campus.
Use step-by-step instructions for computer/mobile access.
Start here: https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-How-To
Need further help?
Contact Ask a Librarian.