Get a Library Card
- A valid library card is required to check out material.
- Library cards are for personal use only and may not be loaned or transferred.
- Possession of a library card does not guarantee access to all library material or services. For example, off-site access to licensed electronic resources is available only to current UCI students, faculty and staff with a UCInetID or a sponsored UCInetID; and interlibrary loan privileges are available only to current UC students, faculty and staff.
UCI PhotoIDs are used as library cards for current students, faculty, and staff.(You may be asked to present a secondary photo identification if the photo on your UCI PhotoID has worn off.)
For those not eligible for UCI PhotoIDs, library cards are issued at no charge. A replacement fee will be charged if card is lost. Valid photo identification and proof of current UCI enrollment or employment is required.
- Registered UCI students *
- UCI Emeritus and retired faculty
- UCI faculty
- UCI retired staff
- UCI staff
- UCI Medical Interns and Residents
- UCI Lecturers
- UCI Librarians
- UCI Post-doctorate researchers
- Visiting Faculty teaching at UC Irvine
* UCI graduate students on official leave of absence or on filing fee status pay an additional fee for library privileges, see fee-based cards.
UC faculty, academics, and administrative staff may arrange to have a proxy check out material for them. The proxy must be a paid employee of a UC campus or a currently registered UC student.
- Proxy cards are issued at any of the Check Out Desks. An application form must be filled out and signed by the authorizing faculty or staff member.
- The person for whom items are borrowed remains responsible for all overdues, recalls, fines, and replacement bills that may be generated.
- Proxies are not to be used for spouses, domestic partners, children or friends.
- Doctoral candidates are not eligible to have proxies.
For more information, contact any Check Out Desk.