- Chat - Available round-the-clock! Real-time, chat reference service is provided by reference staff from various academic libraries. UC Irvine librarians will follow up with additional information if needed. Access to licensed online material requires the software VPN with the Group set to UCI Full.
- Email - Email a librarian! A response is guaranteed within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
- ANTswers - Your UC Irvine Libraries Virtual Assistant! ANTswers is an experimental chatbot that answers questions about the UC Irvine Libraries and will save you time by quickly and efficiently connecting you to the information or resource you need.
- Online Tutorials - Videos and self-paced tutorials for developing research skills and using library databases.
- Research Consultation Service - UC Irvine students, faculty and staff may schedule a 30 minute consultation with a reference librarian to focus on your research needs.
- Beginning Spring Quarter 2021, select study spaces in the Multimedia Resources Center and study spaces in the Libraries Gateway Study Center will be available by appointment to current UC students, faculty, and staff only. The rest of the library buildings remain closed.
- Outdoor study areas across campus, including study tents at the Gateway Plaza and Humanities Plaza remain open. The study tents offer wifi, outdoor furniture, charging stations, and physically distanced seating. No reservations are needed.
Managing your Library Account:
- Articles and book chapters delivered electronically
- The UCI Libraries will continue to fill requests that can be readily completed and delivered electronically. See the Interlibrary Loan web page for more information and details on how to submit a request.
- Print books and other physical items
- Requests for printed works and other physical materials may be made at this time. However please be aware that our ability to successfully fill requests and the turnaround time it takes to receive them will be slower than usual due to continued library closures around the world and our commitment to safety for our patrons and library staff. Borrowed items may be returned to campus book drops or by mail (see above).
- Document Delivery Services
Online Research Tools:
- Connect From Off Campus (use UCI Full Tunnel for VPN)
- Remote access to the UCI Libraries' licensed online resources is available to current UC Irvine students, faculty & staff. In order to use these resources you must be "authenticated" (recognized as a valid user) by the UCI campus network. Your login/password is your UCInetID. To activate your UCInetID, visit OIT's UCInetID Activation page. For further assistance, call OIT at (949) 824-2222 (available 24/7) or visit the OIT Help Desk page.
- Library Search - UCI Catalog
- Library Search allows you to search print and e-books, journal articles, digital collections, and more, all in one place. Library Search makes it easy to find, explore, cite, save, and share a broad variety of UCI library resources.
- To limit to online, full-text materials, use the Available Online facet on the search results page.
- Research Guides
- Guides to help you find academic resources and publications for research, assignments, and projects.
- HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access (ETAS)
- Special access for UCI faculty, staff, and students to obtain lawful access to specific digital materials in HathiTrust that correspond to physical books held by the UC Libraries.
- Open Educational Resources (OER)
- This guide combines the affordable and freely available academic resources like e-Books, e-Textbooks, and online journals.
- Streaming Media
- This guide brings together all of our streaming media--both video and audio--resources into one location to help you discover something new to watch from the comfort of wherever you are right now.
- Databases To Get You Started
- Starting points to find articles.
- Digital Collections
- Explore digital collections, including digitized materials, finding aids, web archives, and other digital projects from the UCI Libraries.
Special Collections & Archives