- UCI Libraries’ facilities include 350,000 square feet in four locations:
- Jack Langson Library
- Ayala Science Library
- Grunigen Medical Library
- Libraries Gateway Study Center
- These buildings contain over 3,300 public seats for study and research
- The Libraries employ 171 full-time equivalent staff
- 50 librarians and professionals
- 96 staff
- 25 full-time equivalent positions filled by over 163 student employees
- Annual Expenditures – $22 million
- The UCI Libraries’ electronic and print collection includes approximately:
- 3.6 million volumes
- 154,000 journals and serials
- 114,000 government documents
- 134,000 audio/visual materials, multimedia, maps, photographs, and other graphic materials
- The Libraries Special Collections preserves 640 archival collections that include over 1 million original documents and photographs
- On an annual basis:
- UCI Libraries’ buildings receive over 1.7 million visits.
- The Libraries’ website receives nearly 6.7 million virtual visits.
- Nearly 160,000 items are checked out, renewed, or used within the library.
- Librarians answer over 25,000 research and reference questions.
- Librarians provide research instruction to approximately 17,000 individuals.
- UCI Libraries’ facilities are open 19 hours during a typical day and 111 hours during a typical week. Study centers are open 24 hours per day in the weeks before and during finals.
- The Libraries provide more than 570 public access computers.
Although there is no such thing as “typical day” in the Libraries, the following activities took place on an average daily basis:
- UCI Libraries buildings received nearly 4,700 visits.
- The Libraries’ website received over 14,000 virtual visits.
- Libraries web pages were viewed more than 18,500 times.
- Overall, nearly 8,148 digital and physical library items were checked out, renewed, viewed, or used, including:
- 650 physical books and journals
- 5,554 electronic full text journal articles
- 1,793 electronic book sections
- 114 reserve items
- 82 items lent or borrowed through Interlibrary Loan
- Nearly 150 research and directional questions were answered by reference staff.
- 25 students participated in research instruction sessions.