Last Modified September 10, 2021
Patrons can request for library materials to be be paged from the collection and made available for pickup at a variety of service points.
Who can request materials to pickup?
Current UC faculty, students, and staff as well as community users with current library cards can request items. (Ability to request items is based on the type of item and your affiliation with UCI.) If your card has expired or you would like more information about how to get a library card, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What can I request?
Items from Langson Library, Science Library, and OC&SEAA can be requested through UC Library Search.
How do I make a request?
Once you find the item you wish, click Request Pickup and follow the prompts. You must be signed into UC Library Search to do this.
How long does it take for something to be paged?
Paging generally takes 1-2 business days.
Where can I pick up my item?
When your item is ready to be picked up you will receive an email with your pickup choices and further instructions. Current pickup locations include:
- Langson or Science Library Check Out Desks
- Curbside in Lot 2 (through Fall 2021)
- Langson Library Smart Lockers
- Science Library Smart Lockers (coming soon)
- Mailed to your residence (UCI Affiliates only. Other restrictions apply.) (through Fall 2021)
When can I pickup?
Pickups at Check Out Desks are offered during our current building hours. Curbside pickup is by appointment only. Pickups at the outdoor Smart Lockers can occur at any time within your 3 day pickup window. Your On Hold Shelf Notice will provide you with more details.
How do I use the Smart Lockers?
See https://www.lib.uci.edu/smart-lockers for detailed information on location and use of smart lockers.
How do I make a Curbside appointment?
Once we have located the item you will receive an On Hold Shelf Notice email telling you your item is ready for pickup. Click on the link in the email and schedule your preferred location and time. You will receive an email confirmation with your scheduled appointment.
Where is Curbside pickup?
All Curbside pickups will happen in the Libraries' designated parking stalls Lot 2
What do I do when I arrive for Curbside pickup?
Call 949-824-6842. A library staff member will provide you with further instructions over the phone.
How do I request an item be mailed to my residence (for current UCI faculty, students, and staff who live outside of Orange County only)?
Once we have located the item you will receive an On Hold Shelf Notice email telling you your item is ready for pickup. Click on the link in the email to request mailing service via FedEx. This service is only available to:
- Current UCI faculty, students, and staff.
- Street addresses (no PO Boxes) within the United States (excluding Orange County, Alaska, and Hawaii).
- Items from our general collections that are not Oversized, Media, or Equipment.
- Note: items with shortened due dates are not available for this service.
How do I return an item mailed to my residence?
- Drop off at a UCI library or our curbside drop box.
- Mail back to us via FedEx. Email email@example.com for a free return label. We recommend you keep the original packaging to mail it back.
- Drop off at any UC library.
There is no option in UC Library Search to Request Pickup. What do I do?
Not everything is available to circulate. For these items you may be able to Request Article/Chapter Scan of portions of the item. If you have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I do if I still have questions?
Email us at email@example.com.