Authors have rights over their intellectual property. They have the ability to transfer or retain full (or partial) rights that influence the dissemination and utilization of their publications in teaching and research. The UCI Libraries' Digital Scholarship Services will work with faculty to develop copyright workshops and consultations, educational materials on copyright, standard language for use in publisher’s contracts, copyright management programs, and other support services to facilitate the widest dissemination and use of scholarly materials.
The University of California, Irvine, Senate Assembly has passed a Joint Resolution on Scholarly Communication and Faculty Copyrights encouraging faculty members to retain copyright in original scholarship to insure the widest dissemination possible of materials used to further education and research.
There are some simple steps that faculty may take to retain their intellectual property rights.
- Sample contract modification language
- UC Office of Scholarly Communication - Copyright Addendum Language
- SPARC Author's Addendum language
- Author Rights (SPARC Resource for Authors)
- Creative Commons
- University of California Copyright Education Website
- Managing Copyright - University of California Scholarly Communication Officers Group
- Copyright Duration Reference Chart