Last Modified June 16, 2021
UPDATE: At this time food and drink are not permitted in library buildings.
We recognize that students spend many hours in the library and enjoy an occasional snack or beverage while studying. Effective November 2006, snack foods and drinks (spill-proof containers preferred) will be permitted throughout the Langson and Science Libraries and the Libraries Gateway Study Center except in Langson Library Special Collections.
In order for us to continue to allow the privilege of having snack foods and drinks, we need your help in keeping to a minimum the risk of damage to library property. The key to success will be the willingness of library users to be responsible in their choice of snack foods and beverages and to help by cleaning up, if needed.
- Food: snack foods are permitted.
- Beverages: lids are required; spill-proof containers with twist-off or other secure lids are preferred.
- Clean it up/throw it away: wipe up accidents, throw away or recycle your food containers and bottles. All bathrooms have paper towels. Trash containers are available throughout the Libraries and Study Centers.
- "No Fault Policy:" tell a library staff member immediately if there is an accident so we can ensure that damaged materials, furniture and carpeting are properly treated and there is appropriate clean-up.
- Eating non-snack foods: The Library reserves the right to ask anyone eating non-snack foods or food, about which Library staff have received complaints, to stop eating and put/throw their food away. Anyone refusing to put or throw away their food will be asked to leave the library.
- Preferred containers:
- Substantial travel-type mugs or cups with secure, sealed lids.
- Pop-top or pull-top sport bottles or other closeable bottles.