Lorelei Tanji has been University Librarian for UCI Libraries since October 2012. She leads a library system that includes 4 libraries; over 4 million volumes, and almost 200 librarians, archivists and staff members. She oversees the strategic vision, mission, and goals of the UCI Libraries.
Through the dedication and contributions of highly skilled UCI Libraries’ employees, the UCI Libraries provide collections and services that support the world-class research, teaching and patient care on campus. The Libraries also serve as an important gateway to knowledge for the community.
Among her responsibilities, Tanji also represents the UCI Libraries at the campus, system-wide, and national/international level. She is a member of the University of California Libraries’ Council of University Librarians (CoUL), having served as Chair for three years (2013-2016). Tanji also serves on the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) Publications in Librarianship Editorial Board (2019-2022) that focuses on research relating to the field of librarianship, and is the Association of Research Libraries (ARL) Chair of the Member Engagement and Outreach Committee.
She is Past Chair of the Pacific Rim Research Libraries Alliance (Secretariat (PRRLA) having served as Chair 2016-2018. The alliance focuses on cooperative ventures among research libraries located around the Pacific Rim to improve access to scholarly research materials.
Tanji envisions the library as a major bridge between the campus and community—where its public programs connect and bring people together in a shared experience of interaction and learning.
Tanji received her Master of Library Science (M.L.S.) from UCLA and holds degrees in music from UC Davis (B.A.) and UCLA (M.A.). Over the course of her career, she has held various professional positions of increasing responsibility at UC Riverside and UCI.
Learn more at lib.uci.edu.
- UC Irvine Libraries Facts & Figures
- UCI Libraries Annual Report 2019-20 View PDF | View Online
- Visit the UCI Libraries
- UCI Libraries Home Page
- UCI Libraries Update: A Newsletter for Faculty
- UCI Libraries Newsletter: For Supporters and Friends
- UCI Magazine Article: The Library Launchpad
- OC Register article - "UCI: Libraries are laboratories of learning"
- New U article - "Changing with the Times: The Role of the Librarian"
- Virtual Lunch with Leadership UCI Staff Assembly
- UCI Conversations. Interviews with Leaders. KUCI Podcast (May 26, 2020):